When it comes to rugged, weather-resistant outerwear for outdoor adventures, two of Fjällräven‘s most popular jackets are the classic Greenland Winter and the more technical Skogsö Padded jacket.
Both use the brand’s signature G-1000 fabric but have some differences when it comes to insulation, weight, features, and intended use.
Here we’ll compare these jackets to determine which is the better choice for different needs and conditions.
Whether you’re exploring the outdoors in winter or need a jacket for daily wear in your city, read on to find out if the tried-and-true Greenland or the advanced Skogsö is your best choice!
1. Fjällräven Greenland Winter Jacket for Men
Fjällräven Greenland Winter Jacket for Men: fjallraven.com
Check it out at Fjallraven.com
The Fjällräven Greenland Winter Jacket for Men has been a beloved choice since the 1970s and has recently been updated for an improved fit and more sustainable materials. This enduring jacket is crafted from the brand’s exclusive G-1000 fabric, comprising 65% recycled polyester and 35% organic cotton, renowned for its wind and water resistance.
To enhance its weather protection, the jacket can be treated with Greenland Wax, which also contributes to its durability. The interior is lined with a soft teddy fleece made from recycled polyester, ensuring warmth and comfort in cold conditions.
It also features a filling that combines recycled polyester with polyester for insulation. The design incorporates reinforced areas on the shoulders and elbows for added durability. It includes a fixed hood, a two-way zipper, and secure closure buttons.
The jacket is equipped with multiple pockets, including buttoned chest pockets, hand pockets, and inner pockets, providing ample storage for essentials. The Greenland Winter Jacket is produced without PFCs, aligning with Fjällräven’s commitment to environmental responsibility.
It is designed not only for its immediate purpose but also with the aim of sustainability through longevity, encouraging use over many years. The jacket is available in various sizes and features a back length of 78 cm in a size M, with a weight of 1260 grams for the same size.
Main Features and Materials
- Outer fabric made from G-1000, a blend of 65% recycled polyester and 35% organic cotton, durable and weather-resistant, it can be waxed
- Lining made from recycled polyester teddy fleece
- Insulation filling made from a blend of recycled polyester and polyester
- Reinforced shoulders and elbows
- Fixed hood
- Two-way zipper, Button closure
- Multiple pockets including chest, hand, and inner pockets
- Free from PFC chemicals
- Back length of 78cm (size M)
- Weighs 1260g (size M)
2. Fjällräven Skogsö Padded Jacket for Men
Fjällräven Skogsö Padded Jacket for Men: fjallraven.com
Check it out at Fjallraven.com
The Fjällräven Skogsö Padded Jacket for Men is a durable and functional winter garment engineered to offer warmth and shield during the colder months. Made of G-1000, a resilient fabric similar to the Greenland jacket, this is both lightweight and robust. It uses synthetic G-Loft Supreme padding that effectively retains heat, even in damp conditions, making it a dependable option for outdoor pursuits.
The design of the jacket prioritizes functionality and comfort, featuring a hip-length cut and an articulated construction that facilitates ease of movement, whether carrying a backpack or not. The pre-shaped sleeves provide a better fit and are equipped with adjustable velcro cuffs, while the well-fitting hood can be adjusted with a drawcord to ward off the wind and cold.
For convenience, the Skogsö is equipped with numerous pockets, including two zippered chest pockets, two hand pockets with protective plackets, and two roomy mesh pockets inside, offering ample storage for essentials such as gloves and hats.
The two-way front zipper is glove-friendly and shielded by a flap with press buttons to protect against the elements. Sustainability is a fundamental aspect of this jacket, with a focus on durability through timeless style and resilient materials.
The G-1000 fabric can be waxed for improved water and wind resistance, and the jacket is free of PFCs, utilizing recycled polyamide in the lining and recycled polyester in the filling. The Skogsö jacket has a back length of 81 cm and weighs approximately 1120 grams for a size M.
This jacket is an excellent choice if you want a dependable and environmentally conscious option for everyday outdoor pursuits.
Main Features and Materials
- Outer materials: durable G-1000 fabric, a blend of recycled polyester and organic cotton.
- Insulation: Synthetic G-Loft Supreme (recycled polyester), for excellent heat retention even in wet conditions.
- Lining: Made with recycled polyamide.
- Hood: Snug-fitting and adjustable with a drawcord.
- Cut: Hip-length with an articulated design for ease of movement.
- Sleeves: Pre-shaped for a better fit, with adjustable velcro cuffs.
- Multiple Pockets.
- Front Zipper: Two-way zipper, glove-friendly, with a protective flap and press buttons.
- Eco-Friendly: PFC-free, uses recycled materials.
- Customizable Protection: The G-1000 fabric can be waxed to enhance water and wind resistance.
- Weight: 1120 grams for a size M.
- Timeless design and robust materials for extended use.
3. Comparison: Greenland Winter vs Skogsö Padded Jackets
Here are the main differences between the Fjällräven Greenland Winter and Skogsö Padded jackets:
- Outer fabric: both use G-1000 fabric (65% recycled polyester, 35% organic cotton) that can be waxed
- Insulation: Greenland Winter uses recycled polyester and polyester blend, Skogsö Padded uses G-Loft Supreme (recycled polyester)
- Weight: Greenland Winter weighs 1260g (size M), Skogsö Padded 1120g (size M)
- Length: Greenland Winter has a back length of 78cm (size M), Skogsö has a back length of 81cm (size M)
- Pockets: Greenland Winter has chest, hand, and inner pockets. Skogsö has two chest, two hand, and two inner mesh pockets.
- Hood: Greenland Winter has a fixed hood, Skogsö has an adjustable hood with drawcord.
Read next: Fjällräven Sten vs Skogsö: Which is Better?
4. Which is Better?
Both are timeless designs built to last for years. If you had to pick only one, here are our considerations to help with your choice:
- The Skogsö is lighter weight at 1120g vs 1260g for the Greenland Winter. This makes it a bit more versatile for active use.
- The Skogsö has an adjustable hood with drawcord while the Greenland Winter hood is fixed. This gives more adaptability in the Skogsö hood for weather protection.
- Both use synthetic insulation which retains heat even when damp. This makes them optimal for wet weather.
- The Skogsö has more pockets with 2 chest, 2 hand, and 2 inner mesh pockets.
- The Skogsö is also (very) slightly longer to offer more coverage.
In the end, the Skogsö Padded jacket would be our choice for lower temperatures as it’s better optimized for versatility, weather protection, fit, and storage. It has a lighter weight, adjustable hood, specialized insulation, and many pockets.
The Greenland Winter jacket is a good option for milder weather. Its enduring popularity over decades also speaks to its quality and performance. Also, it’s more affordable if you’re on a budget.